Saturday, March 12, 2005

Beijing Book City

A fascinating, long article on the emerging Chinese publishing industry in Sunday's New York Times. Just go read it; I think you'll enjoy...right here...if you miss it or can't access, let me know; I've archived it.

BTW I've been to Book City several times, and the place is as overwhelming as author Mike Meyer reports. It is not, however, my favorite store to buy Chinese language materials. There's a tiny HSK bookstore off Wudaokou, close to the Qinghua campus, tucked away in this older, low-rent compound that caters to Japanese students. All you have to do is walk in the door, and they'll give you a 20% student discount. Nice, friendly, helpful folks, so don't believe it when people tell you there's no such thing as good service in China.

No comments: